Tullamore Harriers Report 14th May 2018
Club Record Set In Jersey
Niamh O’Connor set a new club record for the 5000m at the weekend. Niamh ran 16:34.22 at the IC4A Track and Field Championships in Princeton University’s Weaver Field when she finished fourth in the 5000m. Niamh’s time becomes the club record over the mark of 16:38.00 set by Pauline Curley when she finished third in the Irish National Senior 5000m in July 2006.
There have been six club records on the female side set in the last two years and Niamh now joins her old training partners Claire Rafter (Peter English 625m) and Chloe Harte (400m Hurdles) on the clubs list of record setters.
Speaking after her race, Niamh said, “I’d like to thank the club for all the help over the past few years. Club coaches Damian Lawlor and Tom Godley gave me a great start and always keep in contact, while ladies captains Mary Daly and Anna Guilfoyle have also been very supportive as has youth retention officer Darren Butler. In addition I’d like to thank the club’s Athletic and Management committees for the financial help over the last few seasons.”
Tullamore Harriers 5k
The club hosted the annual 5k race on what was a beautiful sunny morning on Sunday 13th May. Over 330 athletes lined out to race our event. It was super to see the club colours from around the county but also to see the other club singlets from Laois, Westmeath, Meath and Dublin in the line up. In fact, the winner was a Cork man!
The race went smoothly from start to finish and without the help and support of many people, this would not have been possible. On a day like this, we rely on not only our club members, but their families and friends too.
On behalf of Club Chairman, Adrian Curley and the committee, we wish to thank the Gardaí, the Order of Malta and Offaly County Council who ensured our athletes had a safe run. Thank you to the residents who co-operated with the road closures. Thank you to all the marshals along the route and at the finish line and to all who helped tidy up afterwards. A huge thank you to our catering staff and to all who baked and supplied food for the after-race refreshments. Adrian and Martina Martin took some fabulous photographs of the event.
Last but not least…..thank you to all the runners and joggers who lined out to make it such a super race today. Some great times were posted and can be found https://www.popupraces.ie/tullamore-harriers-ac-5k-road-race-2018/#0_67F2D5
Prize winners and Tullamore Harriers results below:
Men: 1st Male: Brian Kearney (Leevale AC) 15:56; 2nd Male: Mick Fogarty (Ferbane AC) 15:59; 3rd Male: Paul Mitchell (Tullamore Harriers) 16:06; 1st O40: Jimmy Coughlan (Naomh Mhuire) 16:38; 1st O45: Pat Byrne (Tinyrland) 16:18; 1st O50: Brendan Donagher (Naomh Mhuire) 16:28; 1st 060: Johnny Feery (Tullamore Harriers) 18:20; 1st O70 Jim Langan (Tullamore Harriers) 25:47
1st Junior: Christopher Whittle (Tullamore Harriers) 17:13.
Ladies: 1st Lady: Mary Mulhare (Portlaoise AC) 17:13; 2nd Lady: Ashley Ryan (Civil Service) 17:17; 3rd Lady: Nadine Donegan (Tullamore Harriers) 17:51; 1st 040: Caroline Donnellan (Edenderry AC) 18:42; 1st O45: Carmel Murray (Birr AC) 20:59; 1st O50: Josephine Killeen 20:44; 1st O60: Mary Galvin (Tullamore Harriers) 22:06;
Tullamore Harriers Results: 3. Paul Mitchell 16:06,81; 5. Jay Donegan 16:14,56; 9. Leonard Mooney 16:39,75; 10. Mark Donegan 16:42,90; 12. Michael O’ Brien 16:49,80; 16. Mathew Molloy 17:12,60;
19. Christopher Whittle 17:13,81; 25. Padraig Berry 17:28,60; 27. Nick McGowan 17:39,09;
28. Darragh Rigney 17:39,93; 30. Harry Flynn 0:17:45,76; 31. Philip King 17:48,52; 32. Nadine Donegan 17:51,53; 36. Jonathan Dunne 18:00,27; 39. Brendan Abbott 18:16,03; 40. Johnny Feery 18:20,58; 41. Glenn Finlay 18:20,40; 43. Declan Meehan 18:45,75; 46. Cian Martin 18:56,59;
47. Peter Martin 18:55,50; 48. Padraic Sweeney 18:56,57; 49. Rory Farrell 19:03,72; 50. Dermot Smith 19:02,65; 51. Gary Whittle 19:02,87; 52. Finian McDermott 19:03,74; 54. Darren Butler 19:18,84; 59. Alan Heffernan 19:26,28; 65. Peter Bennett 19:34,28; 69. Nita Mcloughlin 19:47,28;
72. Dave Dunican 19:57,11; 82. David Doyle 20:32,98; 83. Sean Reynolds 20:35,34; 90. Maeve Larkin 20:43,31; 94. Ken Doyle 20:51,65; 99. Brigid Fox 21:05,93; 102. Sarah Stephens 21:18,61; 103. Gary Dwyer 21:22,39; 113. Charlotte Abbott 21:44,03; 115. Denis Flynn 21:49,06; 117. Emily Grennan 22:03,68; 123. Mary Galvin 22:06,91; 139. Lavinia Leahy 22:58,95; 142. Evelyn Herlihy 23:03,98;
145. Marie Donegan 23:09,61; 146. Gabriel Keyes 23:00,24; 149. Aoife Marron 23:14,07; 151. Karen Martin 23:18,82; 152. Joe Wrafter 23:16,27; 166. Andy O Grady 24:03,66; 169. Mary Hussey 24:10,65; 172. Michael Casey 24:12,86; 173. Emer Guilfoyle 24:17,98; 174. Kevin Corrigan 24:16,57;
176. Arlene Finnerty 24:19,54; 178. Fallon Conlon 24:27,85; 179. Martina Conlon 24:29,58;
180. Siobhan Stewart 24:25,81; 181. Paschal Naughton 24:33,10; 183. Naomi Galvin 24:43,73;
187. Patrick Kennedy 24:49,96; 190. Anne Daly 25:03,58; 193. Tracey Stewart 25:06,44;
196. Kevin Sampson 25:12,62; 199. Caroline O Brien 25:27,05; 202. Maria Gallagher 25:28,27;
204. Jim Langan 25:47,74; 209. Clare Lawlor 25:49,79; 211. Dermot Murphy 25:44,58; 225. Aisling McCormack 26:29,37; 240. Sandra Busteed 27:35,98; 243. Loretta Moran 27:52,69; 266. Richeal Murtagh 29:06,89; 281. Leonard Owens 31:16,26; 284. Avril Crowley 31:40,38; 294. Ann Marie Lawlor 33:08,54; 299. Catherine Dolan 33:32,43; 309. Ann-Maria Cunningham 35:46,10.
Leinster Road Race Championships
Congrats to the team of Brendan Donagher, Johnny Feery, Brendan Abbott and Alan Heffernan who took county gold medals in the Leinster Road Race Championships in Gowran on Bank Hiliday Monday, 06th May. Brendan was 1st o50, Johnny 2nd o60, John Todd was 2nd o65 and missing from the photo was Jim Langan who took the gold medal in o70. Tullamore Harriers also were 2nd club in the o50 competition. Great results lads.
Searlait Tywang Half Marathon
David Murray won the Searlait Tywang Half Marathon with an excellent time of 1.16.35. The race was held in Castlecomer on Sunday 13th May. Great running David.
Ballyhoura Trail Half Marathon
Well done to three club members who took to the hills for a very challenging half marathon on Saturday 05th May …the Ballyhoura Half marathon. Results: Aidan Egan 2:22, Hillary Duncan 2:36 and Olivia Egan 2:45.
Heilbronn Half Marathon
On the same day, Saturday 05th May, Tony Keegan competed in the Heilbronn Half Marathon in Germany. With a severe climb mid race to contend with, Tony happily finished in 2:18. Great to see the blue and white in Germany Tony.
Tullamore Harriers Quinlan Cup Half Marathon
Tullamore Harriers Quinlan Cup Half marathon will be held on Saturday 25th August. This year we anticipate closing the event much earlier so sign up now. Again this year we have the Relay Entry option so if you are not interested in the Half Marathon and would like to be part of this fantastic day….this is your opportunity. The half marathon is the Leinster Athletics Half Marathon Championship and the Offaly Half Championship race. See FAQ regarding the event at: :http://tullamoreharriers.com/about-the-race/ and entry at: https://athleticsireland.primo-events.com/ps/event/TullamoreHarriersQuinlanCupHalfMarathon2018
The club offers its condolences to the family of Johnny Condron, Tullamore, who passed away recently. May he rest in peace.
Please note that club membership runs for the calendar year so 2018 membership is now overdue. Membership forms are available from the club house.
Sat 26th May Killeigh Annual 4-mile Road Race (Offaly Novice Road Race Championships)
Fri 01st June Offaly Road Race 5k Series 2018 Race 5 – Ballyskenach AC
Fri 15th June Ballinagar 10K (Offaly 10k Championships)
A list of AAI-licensed fixtures is available on www.athleticsireland.ie
Training for adults every Tuesday and Thursday at 6.30pm and Sunday at 8.00am except on race days. New members always welcome. Please contact Leslie Buckley 087-6130971 or Anna Hyland Guilfoyle 086-8248928 or any club member. Full details regarding Juvenile training on tullamoreharriers.com.
Access to Harriers Facilities
Please note that use of the club’s facilities, including the tarmac track, is restricted to members of the club. Walkers are not permitted on the track during training sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays 6.30pm-8pm.